Public Cloud Kubernetes Management
Manage AKS, EKS and GKE with Wayfinder
Wayfinder gives you all the tools and processes to build and manage your delivery platform with AKS, EKS or GKE, making it easy for teams to run Kubernetes projects.
Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE) and Amazon’s Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS) are fully managed Kubernetes services that are part of Microsoft’s Azure, Google’s and Amazon’s public cloud platforms, respectively.
These managed Kubernetes services make it simple to run Kubernetes, but running projects is still incredibly complex and difficult.
What is Kubernetes?
Kubernetes is an open-source platform for building, deploying, running and scaling applications and application services.
At its core, Kubernetes provides a way to schedule the running of applications or application services packaged as linux containers across a distributed compute environment.
Harnessing the power of Kubernetes with AKS, EKS and GKE
AKS, EKS and GKE are fully managed Kubernetes services that are part of their respective public cloud platforms. With your chosen cloud, these are the perfect service to provide the core components of your application delivery and runtime, so that you don’t need to worry about building and running Kubernetes yourself
But when you start to manage Kubernetes projects at scale, you’ll start to realize additional complexities. We’ve learned from experience, having worked with Kubernetes since the beginning and managed it at scale with the Home Office and Bank of England, with some of the complexities being found in:
- Managing cloud account access for multiple projects and users
- Segregation of projects, people and clusters.
- Onboarding individuals to get access to projects and clusters
- Managing higher-level cluster admin access
- Creating processes for escalating privileges in a timebound secure way
- Applying policy-based consistency to cluster creation
- Building core cluster capabilities such as ingress in a consistent way
- All of the above, self service through web-based UI and secure CLI/API access
How Wayfinder helps
The cloud providers and managed Kubernetes services will provide you with the core Kubernetes and surrounding services. Appvia Wayfinder takes it a step further, turning those services into a self-service, enterprise-managed platform that will scale with your business and project teams.
Appvia Wayfinder is your cloud SRE, providing all of the automation and integration into a push-button process that can securely and safely stand up project teams. Wayfinder enables teams to…
- Securely provide cloud accounts to enable projects to provision Kubernetes clusters without direct cloud account access.
- Create project teams with RBAC and SSO into Appvia Wayfinder through workspaces.
- Provide separation of concerns through project plans, creating access and authorization policies across all cluster components.
- Automatically provision out-of-the-box ingress controllers, HTTPS certificate management, and DNS support, letting your development teams get going quickly.
- Stick to best-practice guidelines for network layout for your managed Kubernetes services. Wayfinder creates and manages networks, subnets and more as needed. It can automatically peer these networks together, allowing access to and from private clusters within your cloud estate.